Tuesday, February 11, 2014

1/3 of the way done

The is past week was crazy. Between picking up my next to last class and the snow, I felt like a chicken with my head cut off. The worst was my ag foundations class. Like always this is my freshman. On Thursday things were getting out of hand. I have had them in the shop working in welding and brazing for the past week and a half and needed to change some things that way I had order. So I decided to have stations. While trying to figure out what student needed to be at what station, I kinda left lose. Meaning that when I have 20 students talking to me while I am asking one student something else I screamed. "I told every one to be quiet. I can not talk to or listen to 20 people at one time or be in 2 places at once. Either you all sit down and be quiet or we are not going into the shop." This lasted for about 5 minutes, which was all I needed before I sent them to the shop. Thinks seemed to go a lot better and students were actually getting signed off on their work.

Thursday night and Friday I had the chance to go to State College for the FFA Record Book Judging. I have heard many things about this event due to my father being there but was not sure what I was getting myself into. Overall it was a great experience. It really gave me an inside look to what judges are looking for when books are filled out.

Saturday and Sunday I went to the ACES convention with my FFA chapter. Here students were split into groups to go to different workshops and I went to all the teacher workshops. I learned some important information with AET and AgCN. This trip was interesting at times as well. It was nice seeing some of my cohort and catch up but it also gave me a chance to get to know 7 of my freshman. I was able to communicate with some better especially ones that I get attitude from in class.

Hopefully next week will have more interesting fun stories to share. Till then...................

1 comment:

  1. Val, establishing routine, expectations, and standards from the very beginning of class and sticking to it will help you maintain 'control' of your students. Don't be afraid to take time to 're-establish' your standards and expectations if it seems like students are slowly taking on bad habits. You set the tone of the class, so being well prepared and confident in your plans will also provide students with structure and understanding of what they are to do and how to do it. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete