Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Not much to report from last week

Last week was a very calm week at school. I am working on building a birdhouse planter box in building construction which is taking forever. AG leadership we are doing the teach ag essay contest and in Ag Foundations we are learning about soil.

Teach Ag Essay Contest is a great way for students to show their love of agriculture with others. I made this an assignment in my Ag Leadership class. Students were to have their lesson plans to me by last Friday and they had to teach their lesson by today. I had a wide range of lessons from who wants to be an ag teacher to care of rabbits and goats. For the most part the students were prepared for their lesson but I did have two that did the bare minimal. A lesson on endangered species lasted only 15 minutes (should have been 45) and then the who wants to be an ag teacher lasted almost 1.5 hours. He did not have a lot planned so he took long going through things and then was adding stuff as he went. As they went through their lessons, I had a copy of their plans and was writing in what they added or what the times were for each section. This helped them understand why their lesson went the way it did.

Sorry not more to report. Quiet week in the 'grove.

1 comment:

  1. Val, I'm sure there could have been more to reflect on in your teaching for this past week. Did every lesson go as planned? No behavioral issues? I encourage you to maybe start jotting notes down right after class of what went well and what didn't. This will help you write your reflective blogs.

    The TeachAg essay, I agree, is a great way to have students engage and express their passion for agriculture. It was interesting to hear how the student performed. My question to you was what were your thoughts as you were observing the student teach? Did you provide any feedback on his performance? Had you thought about stepping in and helping him extend the lesson? All things to think about and reflect on as you prepare for a new week.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete