Monday, March 3, 2014

Time for change

Some may say that the relationship I have with my students is not good. To me this is wrong. Yes, I have to admit that there is a certain number of students that push my buttons and in return they receive smart answers back. However, when you are asked to go to the shop and finish your projects and you tell me that you do not want to then my response is well it is your grade not mine. I am done giving them time. This is the last week I will be in the shop. It is time to move on and if they are not done then to bad.

Some say that I do not doing the planning that is needed to be done in order to be prepared. This may be right but this is not every day. With last week being the way it was with family crisis I feel that I did fine. For example, my veterinary science class I had a great lesson planned about feed labels/bags along with rations. Lets go back, last week they class was not acting like they were involved or having fun. Therefore, I made them write down how they would like to learn information in the class. I got a wide range of information from having students take their own notes to more activities with food. I took that information and had a lesson where students took the notes by what they thought was important and then had an activity with food. At the end of the lesson, I had students tell me that they liked this lesson a lot. Now going back to the planning aspect. I did have a great lesson planned but ran out of stuff. Therefore, I started students on the nutrition project. Yea, I did not have the information printed off for the students but with class I did not worry about that. I feel that being able to have students start the project was better than having them sit around and do nothing.

After reflection on this past week change is due. Yes I do need to prepare more and think of more activities. Time will be my friend on doing this. Change is not going to happen overnight but it will.

1 comment:

  1. Val,

    Every teacher faces adversity when it comes to students. It is important to remember that students must have a felt need for every activity/lesson that is required of them. Students need to understand why it is important and how it will impact them.

    While it is important to highlight our perceived strengths, effective reflection should focus on areas that need improvement and focus on the WHY and not the WHAT.

    I encourage you to continue building your content and pedagogical knowledge and seeking out assistance from Ms. Fry and the AEE Instructional Team. We are all here to help you succeed and have experience in all areas of instruction.

    Keep in mind, the greatest teachers never settle for acceptable and are never satisfied with the status quo.

    Keep doing great things.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete