Thursday, April 17, 2014

Finishing Strong

This best week has been great. I am finishing teaching Veterinary Science. The students are sad to see me go and I am sad to leave them. I finished off the unit of office management by talking about medical records and taking inventory. I had the students start filling out a treatment sheet but would have them put information in the wrong spot (on purpose). When they had to change their work, most of them would just scribble out the words. I then used this as a learning experience, and took that time to explain how to fix mistakes in the records in order for the records to hold up in class. This went over really well. Today in class we are going to take a quiz, then I am giving the students a survey on my teaching. I am hoping that they are honest with me and they will give me good feedback.

Ag foundations has also been going good this week. I am finishing up teaching the green unit. Instead of standing in front of the class, I decided to let the students research the different industries and then give a presentation to the class. I made it so that the notes were due to me last week and then this week is presentations. To my surprise the groups that went yesterday were great. I really liked the activities that they came up with. Today 3 more groups are going and then I have a master gardener coming to talk about weed control using mulch for my community based unit of instruction.

We also had our FFA banquet this week. I was not involved in a lot of the planning due to teaching but was there when needed. I showed up to the banquet with all thoughts of just sitting there and watching, however before it started one of the students came to me and said "I have no clue what I am doing". I decided to sit with the students to make sure everyone went on stage when they were to. Then to my surprise, I was called up. (thank goodness I was dressed in a dress) To be honest, I do not remember what was said about me due to being in shock that I was actually called up.  It felt great to be named.

Next week will be my last week. I am finishing presentations in Ag Foundations and then helping judge Regional Public Speaking on Thursday.

1 comment:

  1. Val, I'm so glad to hear your last couple weeks have been great experiences. Continue on your path of finishing strong. I'm also going to reiterate what I shared on some of your peers' blogs, which is I strongly encourage you to spend some time during your observations to reflect deeper on your teaching style and approaches and really identify where your strengths and weaknesses are. I also encourage you to watch Mrs. Fry and take notes on her style and how her approaches differ from yours, also look at the WHY and HOW.

    Keep working hard!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete