Tuesday, April 15, 2014

You are a rock star

This past week was great. I was observed again on Wednesday not only by my university supervisor but by a fellow student teacher. I started off the day stressing out due to nothing going as it should. I was late getting to school and then realized that my lesson plan for Veterinary Science did not save like it should have so I had to make a new one. Then my computer crashed on me. The only thing going through my head was great this is not how I want my day to go.

However, I started to teach second block kinda slow. With these students it is a hit or miss on weather or not they interact. I have 3 senior girls in the back that carry the class. If they are interacting then the class goes good if not then it is a dud. Therefore, to be honest, I warned the class that I was being observed and asked that they interact today. To my surprise things went great. It was an ag leadership class, so I did not have much content but was able to get a mission and vision statement done for the FFA chapter.

Next is veterinary science. Wow is all I can say. I brought in a guest speaker to say. I had Boigie, a little dog come and help me demonstrate how to do TPR's on dogs. I then had the class show how to restrain for blood draws. This was by far my best class this semester.

What made my week the best was when I saw my professor from Penn State on Thursday night, he said that I was a rock star. No one understands what it feels like to hear someone call you a rock star like I do.

On Friday, I observed a student teacher. I was not as impressed as I was expecting. She had shorter periods then me so I was expecting things to go a lot quicker. However, it did not seem like it. The first class taught was good, beside I had to call the kettle black and tell her that she should have used her lesson plan. The second class she taught was okay. I would have liked to see her do a little bit of a review before sending kids to the shop. Her last class was wildlife. Here she gave a quiz that lasted about 15 minutes, therefore the students had 15-20 minutes to do nothing.

However, she did do good things as well. She had great rapport with the students and was able to cover everything that was needed.

I have 2 more weeks of teaching and then am done. Can not wait.

2 comments:

  1. Valerie, please focus on finishing strong and making the most of your remaining days as a student teacher as opposed to counting down days to being done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valerie, I would have to agree with Dr. Foster. Now is the time to really push yourself and maintain that good work you did on the day of your observation. It takes weeks of great teaching to really feel the impact of how you are making a difference in the lives of students. Also, keep in mind that your peers are growing and defining themselves as teachers just as you are. Just remember that part of being a reflective practitioner is not only about giving critical feedback, but is able to hear and accept feedback on your own teaching.

    ReplyDelete