Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Looking back, Is it really over?

What happen to my way of thinking?

The process of picking where I would student teach was hard. I needed to make sure that where I taught at I would gain the best training possible. It was also nerve wracking due to having to compete with other student teachers. Luckily, life and God gave me a chance and I was placed at Selinsgrove Area High School with Mrs. Valerie Fry. Selinsgrove Area High School has a two teacher Agricultural Program consisting of a mixture of students ranging from your typical agricultural farm raised students to students who have never seen livestock or stepped foot on a farm. I knew that I was in for a rough road ahead due to the background of students and the length of the classes which are 86 minutes long.

Starting off, I was well prepared. Not because of the three weeks of lessons that I prepared before Christmas break but because I was excited to be able to share my knowledge with my students. The semester started off great from the rapport with my students to the content being taught. Then as time went on I started to go downhill. I started to not be as prepared and then was getting to the point of being done with this experience and thinking that I just want to have my own classroom where I could do things my way.

However, looking back, I am glad that I was able to have this experience and be at Selinsgrove. I came to the realization that teaching is what I want to do but the best type of class I would love is Veterinary Science. I had a blast teaching the wide variety of classes but my best was Veterinary Science. Here, I was able to share my experience working in a veterinary hospital with the class to provide the need to know content.

The other classes, like stated before, were great. I liked better being in the shop with the students. Here I was able to show my skills and then help them master theirs. One realization that I learned was I am better at teaching welding then doing it. I also learned how to make the amount of equipment work best for the class size.

Overall, student teaching as given me the insight to what type of teacher I will be. It also told me that this is the right calling for me. Being a teacher, I am able to provide my knowledge base to the students and then help them find their calling that God has for them.


If I were to change anything about my experience, I would have made the best of it. At times, I looked at it as I do not need to plan, I know what I am talking about. However, I was proven wrong. Planning is a must and always plan for more than what is needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment